No, not the James Cameron version. The Twitter one. If you’re a dedicated Tweeter, you’re probably not an egg. The egg is just lazy. But anyway, I digress.
I spend a lot of time on Twitter, read #addiction, and over the years I’ve noticed a trend in Twitter avatars. Here are the top ten avatar “types” I’ve seen along the timeline.
1. The logo, plain & simple
2. The “I’m not looking at the camera & I have no idea how this photo got taken” avatar
3. The “Look how funny I am” avatar
4. The “I’m not a model, but I look like one” avatar- you know the one when someone takes an ammmmazing picture of you and you literally can’t change your avatar fast enough
5. The “Cartoon” avatar: the cartoon version of yourself, sketched or otherwise
6. The “Cause” avatar: a personal favorite and super effective
7. The “Promotion of the moment” avatar: Celebs are great at this, switching out their normal shot with their magazine cover of the moment, bleh bleh bleh
8. The “Monopoly” avatar- you know the one where you pick one item to represent you, like a handbag or a pair of sunglasses. Perhaps a thimble
9. The “Baby picture” avatar- this one I don’t get all, why would we want to see you as a baby?
10. The “Pose” avatar- a strategic, “yes I took this photo for the purpose of my avatar”, shameless shot. Always note where the hands are on this one..it’s always a good story.
Which one are you?
Got any more? Tweet me @dkny. I’ll be the one with avatar #5