You really can’t turn on or log onto anything these days without hearing some sort of Olympic update or narrative. We all know the drill, when world events happen, they take over the social conversation. I mean, I was on Twitter Olympic overload by the time the opening ceremony started. But alas it got me thinking….
Fashion in a way is a race of not so epic proportions, but yet every day we vault over some ridiculous obstacle, at least mentally. The stress and pace of the Fashion industry make us very agile and I would put us up against almost anyone to show how in shape we are.
So… if Fashion PR was a category in the Olympics here’s what the top competitions would be :
1. Olympic Sample Packing: Sure you know how to pack your own suitcase but you have not seen anything until you see an army of fashion assistants packing up samples for a shoot. Let’s just say on a really bad day that tape gun can be used a lethal weapon.
2. Olympic Email Checking: I’m very confident that Fashion PR people get more emails than most. Not only because we talk a lot, but because we’re very big on the “cc”, aka cover your bum. But how fast can you make a sea of 400 red emails turn black? Only the Olympic judges will know.
3. Olympic Press Coverage: PR people love to spin and if they want to, they can basically make you believe the sky is not really blue, it’s just your eyes. In this competition though, you will have to secure press on something…..drum roll please….that has already launched. Ha, try that one.
4. Olympic Runway Show Seating: My personal favorite. You will have to seat your guests at lightning speed in ego, I mean title, hierarchy.
5. Olympic Press Strategy: The amount of these PR people write IRL is endless, but try writing one to the beat of a ticking time bomb. Oh and unlike your real clients, the Olympic judges will know you if you took an existing PR plan and just changed the client’s name.
6. Olympic Air Kissing- In this competition you will have to know who to kiss on both cheeks OR one, just by looking at them. Also there’s no talking behind anyone’s back once they pass. Easy right?